The City of Santa Clarita Newhall Community Center will host a free traditional Thanksgiving Dinner event sponsored by Parkway Motors.
Please share this flyer with your students and families.
College & Career Night
The Hart School District’s Junior High Counselors along with the Career Development Department are hosting a free College & Career Information Night for junior high students and their parents on Wednesday, December 3rd, at Arroyo Seco Junior High MPR from 7:00-8:30 pm. Representatives from the CSU and UC Systems, College of the Canyons, California Apprenticeships, and Congressman McKeon’s Military Liaison will present information on their educational and career options including entrance requirements, cost, and keys to success. A question and answer session will follow the presentation. (más información)
Teens & Social Media
- A Parent and Student Empowerment Night titled Teens & Social Media.
- The event is open to all parents and students in the district.
- Students: Come and learn how to be smart, safe, and responsible online. Learn about the laws and how they affect your social media use.
- Parents/Guardians: Come and get information about the social media websites your teens are using and what you can do to encourage online safety and responsibility.
- Please have your student bring their cell phone to the presentation.
- Thursday, December 4th
- 6 - 8 p.m. @ Placerita Junior High School in Tanner Hall
- More info, más información
- Online signup
Student of Month Winners for October- “Respect”
Congratulations to the following students who have been selected by their teachers for demonstrating the Character Counts trait of “RESPECT”:
- A.T.T.I.T.U.D.E.: Nick and Stefani Woll
- Adventurers: Mark Felici
- Trailblazers: Giovanni Leyva
- Explorers: Daisy Avila and Alexandra Hernandez
- Quest: Lauren Hannah and Kendall Thomas
- Team Excellence: Lyris Aguilar and Jonathan Valencia
- Pacesetters: Gilberto Flores and Connor Finley
Congratulations to these Students of the Month! Thank you for making Placerita a place where Character Counts!
Holiday Programs at the Santa Clarita Public Libraries
Have you been wondering what to do with your children to prepare for the holidays? Check out the "Holiday Programs at the Santa Clarita Public Libraries." They have workshops, classes, and activities on the following topics for families and children of all ages at all 3 of our Public Libraries:
Making Cards for the Troops, Native American Cooking, My Own Cookbook, Thanksgiving Dessert, Holiday Gift Tags & Cards, Hanukkah Storytime, Make Your Own Dreidel, Holiday Card Making, Magazine Angels, Homemade Gifts, Holiday Movies, Christmas Storytime, Gingerbread Cookie Decorating, Gingerbread House Making, Cardboard Creations, LEGO Playtime, & Thank You Note Making.
Click on this link to the City of Santa Clarita Seasons publication where all the Library programs are listed on pages 46-47. www.santa-clarita.com/modules/showdocument.aspx?documentid=8181
Or the City's Library page: www.SantaClaritaLibrary.com
Or call (661) 259-0750 to contact any of the City's Public Libraries.
Your California College Future
Start planning your college future! Attached here is a letter from a joint effort between the California Community Colleges, CSU, and UC Systems. For more information, go to their website: YourCACollegeFuture.org or read their letter to students.
Parents and Guardians,
By now, I am sure you have heard the words "Common Core" and how our State curriculum has transitioned to include new Common Core State Standards. This Spring of 2015 marks the first official year when all schools will administer new, more advanced, computerized, online assessments (also called the SBAC). If this is new to you, and you would like to learn more, here is a website with some information for parents, y otra en Español, to help introduce you to the Common Core Standards and ways you can help support your students' education outside the classroom.
Advice and Help with Social Media
Parents, would you like some help, advice, and direction in how to keep your kids safe online? Take a few minutes to look through this outstanding website which offers an abundance of resources and direct advice for kids, parents, and families about social media safety, and growing up online: www.commonsensemedia.org
Hart District's "What's Good in Education"
School Vision and Mission
With “Pride in Excellence” as our motto, Placerita Junior High School’s staff, students, parents, and community will cooperate to serve the student, recognizing the unique characteristics of early adolescents. In a safe, caring, and healthy environment, we will prepare students with academic, intellectual, social, emotional, and physical skills to help them become positive, productive, capable citizens.
It is the vision of faculty, staff, and parents that the school mission statement will be achieved by establishing:
- A safe, orderly, and caring school environment that respects diversity and emphasizes tolerance of others.
- An environment that recognizes the value and potential of each student.
- An atmosphere that promotes teamwork among members of the school community.
- An academically challenging learning environment for all students.
- An environment that encourages students to mature socially and emotionally.
- An on-going process of review and evaluation.
Parents: Are you concerned about the recent Ebola cases in the United States? Attached is an informational flyer from Henry May Hospital about how to protect yourself, your family, and our community.