Halloween Costume Guidelines
Halloween Costume Guidelines
Socktober - DFYIT
Did you know that there are 600,000 people without a home on any given night in the United States?! Imagine all the poor cold homeless people in the winter. To change that this month is now SOCKTOBER! Donate new pairs of socks for the homeless, by just dropping them off anytime before school, brunch, lunch, and after school at Mrs. Burrill's office in the girls locker room. If you donate 3 NEW PAIRS of socks you get one hour of communtity service! The event runs through November 7th. Tweet us a picture of your donation at DFYITSCV.
Cash for Cancer
Please donate spare change to raise funds for Breast Cancer research during the month of October.
8th Grade Yearbook Ads Are Available Now!
Placing an ad in the yearbook is a great way to celebrate your student's accomplishments and wish them success in high school. Two sizes are available--1/8 page for $35, or 1/4 page for $55. You can order online 24/7 at JostensAdService.com. Get yours now while space is available! Deadline is Oct. 31st.
Students of the Month - "Trustworthiness"
- Team Excellence: Sage Forgrave and Tyler Lasdon
- Trailblazers: Bianca Santana
- Explorers: Michele Marin
- Pacesetters: Mary Jo Hatch
- Fusion: Lydia Botello and Justyn Friedler
- A.T.T.I.T.U.D.E.: Nadine Marcus and Jessica Deegan
- Adventurers: Zoe Hughes
- Q.U.E.S.T.: Daniella Byrnes
Congratulations to our Students of the Month! You will be invited to a brunch held in your honor on Friday, Oct. 3rd. Thank you for making Placerita a place where Character Counts!
There is an opportunity available for 8th grade students to participate in a speech contest. Two students from our school will compete in the final round against other junior high students for cash prizes.
- Topic: "How am I Inspired?"
- Speech length: 3 minutes
- First round at Placerita on November 3rd
- Final round at Rancho Pico on November 13th
- Please contact us for more information:
Parents and Guardians,
By now, I am sure you have heard the words "Common Core" and how our State curriculum has transitioned to include new Common Core State Standards. This Spring of 2015 marks the first official year when all schools will administer new, more advanced, computerized, online assessments (also called the SBAC). If this is new to you, and you would like to learn more, here is a website with some information for parents, y otra en Español, to help introduce you to the Common Core Standards and ways you can help support your students' education outside the classroom.
Advice and Help with Social Media
Parents, would you like some help, advice, and direction in how to keep your kids safe online? Take a few minutes to look through this outstanding website which offers an abundance of resources and direct advice for kids, parents, and families about social media safety, and growing up online: www.commonsensemedia.org
Hart District's "What's Good in Education"
School Vision and Mission
With “Pride in Excellence” as our motto, Placerita Junior High School’s staff, students, parents, and community will cooperate to serve the student, recognizing the unique characteristics of early adolescents. In a safe, caring, and healthy environment, we will prepare students with academic, intellectual, social, emotional, and physical skills to help them become positive, productive, capable citizens.
It is the vision of faculty, staff, and parents that the school mission statement will be achieved by establishing:
- A safe, orderly, and caring school environment that respects diversity and emphasizes tolerance of others.
- An environment that recognizes the value and potential of each student.
- An atmosphere that promotes teamwork among members of the school community.
- An academically challenging learning environment for all students.
- An environment that encourages students to mature socially and emotionally.
- An on-going process of review and evaluation.
Parents: Are you concerned about the recent Ebola cases in the United States? Attached is an informational flyer from Henry May Hospital about how to protect yourself, your family, and our community.